Saturday, October 22, 2011

St George Marathon









For 19 weeks I have been training for the St George Marathon. In hind sight, I wish I would have blogged about the journey of this accomplishment. At the beginning of the 19 weeks, I really didn't know if I could really run a marathon. 19 weeks later on the morning of the race I still didn't know if I could run a marathon. I hoped I could, I really believed I could, but I just didn't know. I really wanted to do this, and NOT pass out during it. I was very faithful to my training. I missed a few of the mid week short runs here and there, but I did not miss even 1 long run. The journey really was amazing. I loved having something to work towards as each week the mileage increased.
When the big day arrived, I was so nervous and excited all at the same time. As I started I said a prayer in my heart that all my hard work would pay off (and that I would make it to the end on my feet) . I followed Hal Higdon's training schedule, so I also had the thought, "okay Hal, I have done what you have told me to do to get ready for this, I am trusting you that it will get me to the end without dying!
The race was absolutely amazing!! The first 10 miles were over before I knew it! I ran with a good friend Megan, and we kept looking at our watches seeing how fast our pace was, and kept having to slow ourselves down, knowing we had a long way to go! I was just so happy and excited to really be running a marathon, and actually be feeling pretty good during the process! As I passed my family at mile 16 with a huge smile on my face, Ryan knew I was going to do be able to finish and be fine. (He was a little nervous before this) As each mile passed by I was so excited to know that I was 1 mile closer...and still feeling good. During the last 3 or 4 miles, I really had to work hard not to cry...not out of pain, but out of joy! I really had put my mind to something I really didn't know if I could do..and I was doing it! It really was such a life lesson for me to train for this and finish it well. I have gained confidence in myself, that if I want to do something, and if I put my mind to it, and take it one step at a time, I really can do things! The smile I have on my face at the end really shows how good I really felt! This will be counted as one of the best days of my life! It was so wonderful to have my family there and cheering. I am also grateful for Ryan for supporting me all summer as I trained week after week! ...oh and I am sure I will do this again! ;)

2 comments:

Kari said...

You are so awesome! Good job!

MiShelle said...

Congrats Chan! You are seriously amazing. I'm inspired by your ambition! Way to go