Thursday, March 15, 2012

1st Annual Family Fun Day

Today I started a new tradition within our family. It began on accident, but I have officially made up my mind that this day will happen at least once a year. (Sadly, I didn't take any pictures..so I will just write about it!)
It all began on Tuesday night when BYU played their first game of March Madness. Without thinking ahead and waiting 1 more month until March Madness was over, we decided to turn off cable last week. We now only have the basic channels. Well, Tuesday's BYU game was on a channel we didn't have, so sweet little Jace sat by the computer watching KSL's live score update! No sound, no visual of the game just the score board that is updated every few minutes. Ryan got home with 4 minutes left of the game and found the audio on NCAA.com so we were able to listen to the exciting last few minutes!
So, when it was announced that BYU played today at 12:45, Jace was just broken hearted that it was right during kindergarten. He asked me, with those little puppy dog eyes, if he could miss school to watch the game. (Which would be on channel 2, which we DO have!) I told him I would think about it! Sadly, he went to bed pretty stressed about possibly missing the game.
When Hailey and Jace woke up this morning, I told them they didn't have to go to school so they could watch the game.....and to have a family fun day!
We went swimming at the Legacy Center in the morning, which was so nice because it wasn't crowded. Hailey mentioned that she loved that we went when it wasn't so loud there! We had so much fun! Hailey and Jace both can swim now, so it is fun to go without having all 3 kids holding on around my neck! (Honestly though, I did miss it some!)
Then we went to lunch and came home to watch the game! Unfortunately, BYU lost, but it was still fun!
We finished off the day by going shopping for some new spring clothes. That was more fun for me than them, but they were excited to go and pick out new spring time clothes.
Ryan wasn't able to join us today because of work and he is in the heart of aerating season.
I had this great idea that we are going to do this once a year where the kids miss school, hopefully Ryan can take the day off, and we are just going to take the day off and PLAY! Looking forward to next year's 2nd annual Family Fun Day...next time I will actually plan ahead!

No comments: